Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Gas stations?

Yo.

Much like at OSU, I tend to enjoy going outside at night, whether it's to run errands or just to get fresh air. Tonight, I had to pick up a couple things, so I went to a hyaku en shop. It's finally actually getting a little chilly out BTW (but I was still fine with just a t-shirt before the sun went down).

Anyway, on the way to the closest grocery store, you'll pass a gas station. Funny thing I've noticed is that this is PRETTY MUCH THE ONLY GAS STATION IN ALL OF TSUKUBA. Probably a gross exaggeration, but it's the only one I've seen.

4月 UPDATE: Interestingly, the gas station has become self-service
 now. Huh.
In America, gas stations are everywhere. Also, attached to them is usually either a convenient store or restaurant of some kind. On the contrary, Japan's gas stations are for gas and various car servicing things. This is probably because convenient stores are literally everywhere and they don't need to be in gas stations too. I'm sure there are at least 10 711s on the same street, not to mention Lawson, Coco Store, and Family Mart. You can't go 2 meters without bumping into a konbini of some kind, but gas stations seem to be really rare by comparison. Interestingly, I can both pay my phone bill and take money out of my US account at 711.

In addition to that, vending machines. If I haven't mentioned it yet, vending machines (自動販売機) are also everywhere. While in America, they are usually inside, most of the machines I see here are outdoors. Some even sell hot drinks. Unlike America, though, snack machines are super uncommon (if they even exist?) and I almost always exclusively see drink ones. Today, I stopped at the cheapest one I've ever seen (100 yen per can instead of 110, shityes). Also, I forgot this existed here, even though I have a picture of the stupid grape one.
Red Bull sucks here so I'll settle for this.
Did I mention I got a free rice cooker? It has changed my life. I also bought more utensils, so once I find out which brand of curry to buy, it's totally カレーライスの時間.

For now, furikake. Nothin like a hot bowl of rice when it's cold. Well, except for soup. Or noodles.

Lastly, there was a health examination today for all the exchange students. I had to pee into a paper cup before I went this morning and then fill this little bottle from said cup. It was disgusting. Also, apparently I have high blood pressure and need to go back again tomorrow. Fun. At least I get to practice my Japanese?

No comments:

Post a Comment